The spring semester is right around the corner! Here are just a few of our favorite tips to have successful semester for the PR student.
1. Get Organized: Before classes start, organize everything... literally everything! Invest in a planner or if you are tech-savvy, use an online program to keep yourself organized. Write down all your upcoming club meetings, classes, work schedule, etc. It never hurts to jumpstart the school year being prepared.
2. Join PRSSA: If your school has a PRSSA club, join it. The Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) is a great way to connect with other students majoring in public relations and other industry professionals. There are membership fees, so take advantage of being a student for the reduced fees. Remember, networking is key!
3. Learn New Programs: PR is not just about writing, but also designing. Make your resume stand out from the rest by learning valuable software like Adobe Photoshop or Adobe InDesign. Most universities offer graphic design classes, be sure to take advantage of that. If your school does not offer classes, download a free trial of the programs and play with them yourself!
4. Use Your Teachers: Do not be afraid to approach your teachers for any reason. They are there to help you grow as a student and a PR professional. Need help finding internships? Most PR teachers are adjunct professors, which means they have other jobs too. Ask them if they know of any places hiring interns. You can even ask them to look over your cover letter and resume for advice.
5. Follow The Industry: Stay up-to-date on the industry, whether it be fashion, sports, etc. Know the latest news, trends, professionals, and anything else you can learn. This also includes learning about the great professionals who made a name for themselves in the industry. Read about how they started and find it as inspiration for yourself.